Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides protection from the potentially high costs of long term care.
Enrollees can count on the FLTCIP’s comprehensive coverage and stability. That’s because it’s the largest program in the nation and is sponsored by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
The FLTCIP reflects the long and careful efforts of OPM and two insurance leaders – John Hancock and MetLife – to provide affordable group premiums and comprehensive benefits that can help ensure your independence.Eligibility
• Federal and U.S. Postal Service employees and annuitants
• Active and retired members of the uniformed services
• Active members of the Selected Reserve
• Retired “grey” reservists even if they are not yet receiving retirement pay
• Separated Federal and U.S. Postal Service employees with title to a deferred annuity
• D.C. Government employees and annuitants first employed before October 1, 1987
• D.C. Courts employees and annuitants
• Tennessee Valley Authority employees and annuitants
• Navy Personnel Command (BUPERS) NAF employees and annuitants
• Compensationers receiving compensation from the Department of LaborRelatives’ Eligibility
• Current spouses of eligible persons in the groups described above
• Adult children of living eligible persons in the groups described above
• Parents, parents-in-law, and stepparents of living eligible employees and active members of the uniformed services
• Surviving spouses receiving a survivor annuityCovered Services
A Facilities-Only Plan covers all levels of nursing home care, including skilled, intermediate, and custodial care. Care in assisted living facilities and inpatient hospice care are also covered.
A Comprehensive Plan covers everything the Facilities-Only Plan covers, plus it covers care provided at home by a nurse, home health aide, therapist, or other authorized provider (including an informal caregiver). Care in adult day care centers and home hospice care are covered as well.
For more information on special features of the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program, please see the FLTCIP Features page.
Return to Life Insurance and Long-Term Care page.