Benefits >> Browse Articles >> Career Development Assistance


Education Exchange - Teachers from Secondary and Postsecondary Levels - Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program

Program Description
Teachers and administrators participating in the program have the opportunity to live and work abroad by exchanging positions with educators from similar institutions in approximately 30 countries. US and foreign teachers usually exchange positions, direct exchange, for a full academic year. Administrators go on a reciprocal exchange, observing and shadowing, for a period of six weeks. Teachers and school administrators at elementary and secondary levels, two-year colleges and four-year institutions are eligible to apply for positions abroad. Most exchange positions occur with both U.S. and foreign teachers receiving their regular salaries from their home schools while teaching and living abroad, though, specific arrangements vary for each country. By living and working in the cultures of their host countries, US and foreign educators gain an understanding and appreciation of the similarities and differences between nations.

General Program Requirements
In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a US citizen who has not participated in a Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program longer than 8 weeks in the past 2 years, who is or has been an educator (teaching, training) and speaks English fluently at the time of application. In order to qualify, the highest level/grade of education that you have completed must be no higher than high school.

Application Process
For more information, see the Program Contact Information below.

Program Contact Information
For more information about this program and how to apply, visit:

Applications can be obtained through this website:

You may also contact the program office directly:

Outreach Specialist
Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program: International Institute, Graduate School, USDA
600 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Suite 320
Washington, DC 20024-2520

Managing Agency
U.S. Department of State":

Return to Career Development Assistance

Govcentral School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use Govcentral's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.