News >> Browse Articles >> Pay & Benefits

Omnibus Includes Federal Pay Raise with Locality Pay

Jodi Schneider | FederalNewsRadio

December 09, 2009

Congressional negotiators sealed agreement Tuesday night on sweeping spending legislation that would fund agencies into the new year. The $1.1 trillion dollar spending bill includes a 2.0 percent federal employee pay adjustment, including a 1.5 percent nationwide increase in base pay and a 0.5 percent average increase in locality pay. It would combine six of 12 appropriations measures for fiscal 2010. The package would provide increases for a number of agencies and programs. Jodi Schneider, economics and political editor and commentator, breaks it down for us.

Listen to this at FederalNewsRadio.com

Santeufd

I should not have to suffer because I work and pay taxes. While millions are unemployed my dollars go to property taxes, section 8 recipients, rising health care, food stamps for others, etc. Why cut the pay of the stable government workers that are helping to keep this country afloat. It is always something, there is always some to blame and someone to take from. To listen and believe half of these polices you have to be gullible.

• Sts-88_max50

ddupnick

The 2% pay raise does not mean anything because of all the taxes we will have to pay for the outrageous spending bills and taxes passed, including the flawed health care bill.

rccobl

Getting the rest of the republicans out is not the answer. With the Republicans in charge the pay parity bewtween those of us who work for the military as civilians and our co-workers in uniforms was at least shrinking. I do the job of an Active duty CPT and get paid less than an Active duty SGT. I work hard and take care of a lot of Soldiers and their pay, medical, dental, and education issues. The 2% isn't the problem, the problem is paying individuals more than others who do the same job and have the same expectations on them. It is not an entitlement attitude. We are taught all our lives if you work hard and do your job you will be rewarded; is that no longer the case. Really, over the last several years the pay parity has gotten better, but this year it went backwards. If its ok to increase my pay only 2%, then make it even and increase the others only 2%. Take that 1.4% difference and do something useful, like feeding the 1 million starving kids in the United States. Or helping the 18% of the population under 18 that live below the poverty level. Robin Hood rules sound wonderful, but who wants to be the one having their money taken without their consent to give to the poor. I give 10% of my income to a charity of my choosing, I don't need the government beaurocrats doing it for me.

I am thankful for my job, but I worked hard to get it. Paid my way through a Bachelors degree and am working on my Masters; served in combat and have given 14 years of my life to my country. Just because I no longer wear my uniform daily, doesn't make me less of a person. Nor does it mean I shouldn't get paid for the job I do. Sit on the outside looking in and you will never understand; sit at my desk and do my job and you will see the problems I see.

paulwbrandt

I am grateful to have a job, and in this economy any pay raise is welcomed. But James does have a point; we need to get the rest of the republicans out of congress. ;-)

billybreathes

good god, social security recipients and federal retirees didn't get a COLA, the unemployment rate is at 10% and you are complaining about SIZE OF OUR RAISE?

the entitlement attitude you expressed is very ugly man, very ugly indded

james_calvin

Congress just reduced Obama's flat 2 percent on base pay to less money by adjusting it to a 1.5 percent nationwide increase in base pay and a 0.5 percent average increase in locality pay. Apparently Congress thinks it sounds better to say they increased both base and locality pay -- what a farce. I suppose Congress thinks everyone is stupid and connot do the simple math. Every civil servant will receive less of a pay raise by Congress' action -- think about this next time you vote.