Premium Content for Members Only

News >> Browse Articles >> Federal Agencies

Big Guns Take Aim at Federal Hiring Problem

62 Comments
Big Guns Take Aim at Federal Hiring Problem

(Courtesy of american progress under a Creative Commons License) http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanprogress/3387697485/

For a long time there has been a lot of empty noise about the federal hiring process. Now the squeaky wheel is finally getting some high-level grease.

Peter Orszag, director of the Office of Management and Budget, has put agency and department heads on notice about the urgent need to fix federal hiring. He gave them six months to make progress in four areas that Orszag indicated are only the beginning.

This marks a stronger, more aggressive role by the Obama administration in...

CALLA66

VETERANA FORGET IT, IM IN ALBUQUERQUE NM AND ITS HAPPENING HERE, ITS HAPPENING ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES, WHAT WE MUST DO IS MAKE OUR OWN POLITICAL PARTY, WERE GETTING JIVE FROM OUR GOVERNMENT. WE HAVE WRITTEN OUT SENATORS AND THEY DO 0, WE NEED A CONGRESSIONAL HEARINGS. THE VA afmpc, agRIC, THEY ALL HAVE ANTI VETERAN ANTI WOMEN WOMEN HIRING SENTIMENT. THEY NEED TO START FIRING THE HR AND START HIRING VETERAN HR IN ALL FEDERAL AGENCIES also make this law,

CALLA66

WAIT TO YOU HAVE TO GO FIGHT AS A VETERAN USERRA OR VP COMPLAINT IN ALBUQUERQUE NM, FORGET IT, THE DOL WILL DENY YOU AND SEND YOU THE MSPB APPEAL BOARD, THERE YOUR HAVE TO GIVE ANOTHER ARM AND LEG TO A LAWYER TO FIGHT THE GOVERNMENT THAT WON'T HIRE YOU BECAUSE THEY DISCRIMINATE AGANIST YOU, THEN YOUR LOOSE YOUR MSPB BECAUSE THAT IS ANOTHER FED GOV COURT THAT PROTECTS THE ANTI GOV VETERAN HIRING CENTERS, VETERAN PREFERNCE IS A JOKE AND THE HIRING CENTER ARE USING ALL THE LOOPHOLES NOT HIRE VETERANS

CALLA66

THE GOVERNMENT IS THE BIGGEST DISCRIMINATOR OF VETERANS THE VETERAN PREFERNCE LAWS ARE A JOKE, LIKE IN ALBUQUERQUE NM THE FEDERAL OFFICE HIRING CENTERS HERE ARE THE BIGGEST ANTI VETERANS ANTI WOEMN VETERANS WE ARE WRTING OUT POLITICIANS AND NOTHING THAT TELLS ME THEY KNOW ITS HAPPENSING. THE VA FACT ONLY HIRED 30 PERCENT VETERAN 8 PERCENT ARE DISABLED ASK HOW MANY WOMEN VETERANS WHAT MAYBE 2. THE OPEM AND THE HR HIRING GUIDE TAKE USAJOBS THE LAW STATES THEY UST PUT A NEMA ON THE JOB POSTINGS A POINT OF CONTACT WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS PUTTING RECRUITMENT CENTER DRU CENTER, THIS CENTER, THATS BS THEN THEY PUT BOGUS PHONE NUMBERS, TRY TO CALL ONE THEM THE USAJOBS AND APPLICATION MANAGER ARE BREAKING THERE OWN FEDERAL LAWS WHICH OPM IS WHAT MAINTINING THESE. ITS LIKE THE REST OF THE VETERAN GOV JOBS FULL OF LIES AND BS, THE GOVERNMENT IS THEBIGGEST ANTI VETERANS YOU HAVE TO BE SOMEONE SENTATORS SON, OR SOME GENERALS NEPHEW, COUSIN. BEING WOMEN VETERAN YOUR LAST IN LINE, IN ALBUQUERQUE NM WE HAVE THE MOST ANTI VETERAN AND TO ME ANTI AMERICAN FED GOV HIRING CENTERS

carden

I have applied for Federal Jobs for over five years on Ft. Sam Houston, Texas only to be turned down for everything I apply for. If you appeal the system too much and state that you are not being trated fairly, someone within the very CPAC you are applying at will have you investigated for harassment. I was found not guitly of the allegation but the same people who file these erronious allegations are the one's who will be rating my resume. Quite a system that the federal government has put into place that your very right to appeal their findings and to voice your opinin on how the system is broken beyond repair. Some of the people who work in these HR jobs think the have more civil liberties than the applicants. My advise to everyone who is unhappy with the current system is to write the Office of Special Counsel and your representatives because the internal networking of the good ole boy net work needs to stop.
    Ken Carden
    SFC USA retired

• Img_0211_max50

lory

I been reading the comments and I also hear the cyring out loud we trying to make here.
    As a veteran myself, I haven't been able to land a federal job, It's all about who you know.. And I refuse to owe anything to anyone,especially A JOB. I once went to a VA hospital and someone in the workforce told me they were trying to get some of her family members to work there... My jaw drop. Now, I asked yourself, if this person even mentioned to me something as far as, hey do you need a job? Let's network.. Answer is, No!

pejemayor

I am Army retired 20 years, frustrated with FEDJOB unfearness, posting jobs that are already reserved for someone else in their inside, why? posting it and make me spend four hours of my life in a dead end, when I could spent it on a real open job that really needs some one. I have found out several times that my application have been sent to the hiring manager, but some one inside had told me, oh that jod is for somebody else that work inside and wants to get promoted.

• Army_045_max50

ehwilliams

I sure hope somebody other than the people making their comments are reading this. All valid points but our voices can't be heard if someone isn't
    listening? I hate talking to a wall but it seems lately thats all I've been doing
    and applying to the same damn wall. I hope everything works out for
    everybody in the best way.

SusanKrysiak

Thank goodness. Government needs a much more effective hiring system in place and I congratulate the Obama Administration and the OMB for initiating these changes. It's so very important to so many people.

rodneygauthier

I am extremely frustrated with the age limit for federal positions that require handling a weapon. After 21 years in the service, there are many jobs that I feel I could bring a lot of maturity and experience to but can't because of the mandatory 37-year old ceiling.

• S41071cb104234_9_max50

andreaobeevalenzuela

As I read all of the comments, I hear, feel, and know the frustration. My husband retired Army after 22 years of service is still unemployed. I yet help him to keep searching and applying but while I wear many "hats" it is impossible for me to take several hours to help my husband apply for one vacancy. Networking? Yeah right! Job Fairs? Yeah right! Inside connection to work with Govt.? All employees must all be family. Well, as far as just reading the vacancies you must know the language cause we just don't read between the lines very well on USAjob.com

• 09-02-07_1747_max50

fireburn0111

well its clear to see that all these people are facing the same crap. they all say the same thing and its nothing new. if you dont have someone already in the system, dont even attempt to get a job. i honestly feel the pain of some of you that served 20+ years and retired. i only did 8 years but faced the same thing. the funny part is i do have someone that works in the DOD system, but i have a heart and a concience. i dont want a job to be given to me... i want to earn it and i think i have. i never took that job. but i never was called either. its a total waste of time and they wonder why the retention #s stink. we are tired of days and months and years of service and when we give our all and get out, they make u feel dumb and all that was useless. I cant wait for Michael Moore to make a film about this and put them on blast. We are qualified, if we are not why in the hell did you keep us away from our damn familys so many times for so long... the only answer is to die. they planned for all of our funerals when we get deployed, but no one planned on giving "qualified" ppl/soldiers a job there after. i wish all of you find jobs elsewhere because the military and DOD can KMA

• Picture0005_max50

lettyayala1

p.s. - MBA no J.O.B

• Picture0005_max50

lettyayala1

OMG, you guys are absolutely on target with your comments. I like to add another issue to the problem. IF YOU ARE NOT RELATED OR KNOW SOMEONE IS THIS ENTITY DO NOT APPLY!!! IF YOU ARE RELATED OR KNOW SOMEONE, NO SKILLS OR EDUCATION REQUIRED!!!!

hjlang

It is a very sad day in this country when persons such as myself and others who are well qualified for a lot of Government positions and after putting in at least 200 applications within a year only to hear nothing is---unacceptable, ridiculous, ludicrous, unamerican as this process. The Fat Cats at the top have been doing what they want to do for so long in keeping things bogged down and unproductive, they will never change. The same jobs are advertised over and over but never seem to be filled. I wish they would stop wasting our time and post a big sign on the USA Website. WE DO NOT WANT WELL QUALIFIED, RELIABLE, EFFICIENT, HARD WORKING PEOPLE--PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

• Army_045_max50

ehwilliams

I agree with dward on this issue along with everybody else that has made a
    comment regarding this issue. I just retired after 31 years of military service
    and have applied for a job with the government, and there is nothing more
    aggravating that not to hear something from somebody. I can lay my life on the line for the American People and i do it with pride but yet I'm not good enough for the government. The same government that has no sleepness
    nights wondering what I'm doing to survive. It is said while serving in the military its not about the money but when you're retired and have a family
    and all of the out of pocket expenses now it is all about the money. Working
    in Logistics my career that covers alot of territory and you can't say I'm not
    qualified or over qualified for any position with the government. Thats one of
    our traits is the ability to adapt to adverse conditions. If the government has
    a need to fill a position or several positions it shouldn't take 6 months to a year to fill that position and to leave the applicant with no knowledge of what
    is going on is unacceptable. I have been to several Job Fairs that Military
    Friendly Employers will be there and I am still looking for the Military Friendly Employers, haven't found them yet. What gets me is with the Border
    Patrol, at a certain age your to old, hello I just served 31 years of military, what do you do that I haven't done before? I hope somebody gets this figured out that has some common sense.