Education >> Browse Articles >> featured


Looking for Student Employment?

U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Many high school and college students are able to gain experience and lucrative connections through temporary employment positions while they are in school. While these positions are often administrative, they provide young people with a gateway into the federal workforce while they continue their educational endevours.

What is the Student Educational Employment Program?

The Student Educational Employment Program has two components; student temporary employment and student career experience. It is available to all levels of students: high school, vocational and technical, associate degree, baccalaureate degree, graduate degree, and professional degree students.

Related Links
Student Temporary Employment Component

Job opportunities under this component offer you temporary employment. Employment can range from summer jobs to positions that can last for as long as you are a student. These employment opportunities need not necessarily be related to your academic field of study.

Student Career Experience Component

This component offers you valuable work experience directly related to your academic field of study. It provides formal periods of work and study while you are attending school. It requires a commitment by you, your school, and the employing Federal agency. You may be eligible for permanent employment under this component after successfully completing your education and meeting work requirements.

Program Features Under Both Components

Students may be employed year round.

  • Flexible schedule of work assignments.
  • Open to all students…high school, under-graduate, graduate, and vocational/technical

Eligibility Requirements

You are eligible under the Student Educational Employment Program if you are:

  1. A student enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking student (diploma, certificate, etc.)
  2. At least the minimum age required by Federal, state or local laws and standards governing the employment of minors,
  3. Taking at least half-time academic or vocational and technical course load in an accredited high school, technical or vocational school, 2-year or 4-year college or university, graduate or professional school, and a U.S. citizen or a national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island).

Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if:

  1. permitted by a Federal agency’s appropriation act, and
  2. eligible to work under U.S. immigration laws. U.S. citizenship is required for conversion to permanent employment under the Student Career Experience Component.

Employment Outlook

“Highly competitive” and “talented” both describe the current and future employment needs of the Federal public service. Like the private sector, organizations throughout Government are undergoing streamlining and restructuring to become more efficient and less costly to operate. This means that fewer jobs are available in most industries, including Government.

However, many Federal agencies are still recruiting for specific occupations where Government needs to provide critical services, maintain its technical expertise, and attract students who demonstrate the skills and abilities the Government needs.

Next Steps

Students may contact their school guidance office, career planning and placement office, teachers, or Federal agency employment office where they are interested in working. They may also visit the OPM website at this address.

Govcentral School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use Govcentral's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.