Education >> Browse Articles >> Degree Center

Master of Business Administration (MBA)

Master of Business Administration (MBA)

GovCentral Degree Center

The Master of Business Administration degree might not be an obvious choice for those considering government careers – yet MBA graduates are currently in very strong demand at some of the major government agencies, including the Department of Labor, US Postal Service, and NASA.

A master’s degree in business administration will help you to grasp the complex relationship between the public and private sectors of the US economy, and will help you to build your communication skills, confidence, and professionalism. A master’s degree is especially valuable among local and state government departments, since a bachelor’s degree does not always meet the qualification standards of local and state government jobs.

According to an April 2006 survey conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), the average base salary for MBA grads in the government/nonprofit sector is $63,565.

Career Options:
• Financial Managers, Analysts
• Accountants and Economists
• Government Administrator
• Court and Judicial Law
• Criminology and Forensics

Choose from a Variety of MBA Degrees:
Although MBA programs are most commonly two-year programs, many schools are now offering alternative time lines in which students can earn their degrees:

2 Year MBA: Full-time, weekday programs for 4 semesters.
Accelerated MBA: Full-time, 1 year, with an increased course load.
Distance Learning MBA: The most flexible option for prospective MBA students. Accredited Online Programs vary in terms of schedule
Evening & Weekend MBA: Part-time; Usually over a 3 year period. Students are usually working and going to school.
Executive MBA: Part-time; designed for managers and executives who are working.

Return to the main article.

jsv

My name is jitendra surayanshi
    Today allotment of ins.
    Become adm.in Medicaps ins. INDORE (M.P.)

What is rappotation this ins.Please info.me.
    My ID:-biotech.surya9@gmail.com
    j.svanshi@ymail.com

• Snap_tariq_max50

ranatariq

I M RECENTLY WORKING IN NADRA (NATIONAL DATABASE AND REGISTERATION AUTHORITY)MINISTRY OF INTERIOR, PAKISTAN, SINCE MARCH 2004 AS A DISTRICT MANAGER.

Andrey1

yoylanda,

In Jul of this year I was hired by the Dept. of Army as a Program Analyst Intern (GS-9/11) at Ft. Monmouth, NJ (please, don't be confused by the intern part - it's just a two-year probationary period). I too only had military experience, having served just under 8 years in the Air Force, and an MBA before accepting this job. By the way, most of my military experience was personnel (human resources) related. If you're truly looking for a career field/federal job where you can use your MBA, my recommendation is apply for business/finance related career fields (e.g. Program, Budget, Cost, Financial Management, and Procurement Analysts and Contract Specialist) covered by the Federal Career Intern Program. I know the Army is hiring at Ft. Monmouth, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, and Ft. Knox, KY.

Best of luck,

Andrey

• Img_0139_max50

govcentral83

Is it more advisable to obtain a MBA AND work full time, or go to grad school full time?

• Img_0139_max50

govcentral83

I recently graduated in May '08 with a B.S degree in Business Administration, Finance Minor and CIS emphasis. I would like to pursue a Federal Government position within Public Administration. Is it best to pursue an MBA in Public Administration or find a government job first to gain experience?

I have an MBA but my experience is military and civilian as a lab technician. I am currently trying to get into a career field that utilizes my MBA.