Department of Energy Internships
The mission of the Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists program is to provide a continuum of opportunities to the Nation’s students and teachers of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
There are three different internships available for college undergraduates:
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI)
- Community College Institute of Science and Technology (CCI)
- Pre-Service Teacher (PST)
Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships
This program places students in paid internships in Science and Engineering at any of several Department of Energy facilities. Many of the participants in the program have decided on a career in science and engineering because of the nature of the experience. Students work with scientists or engineers on projects related to the laboratories’ research programs. The different laboratories each offer different research opportunities (see Choosing a Lab).
The summer programs at the various laboratories will run from late May to mid-August, fall programs run from August through December and spring programs from January through May. The exact start date will depend on the laboratory and will be given to participants who have been accepted at that specific laboratory. Students are required to participate for the full term of the program.
What is Expected of Each Participant
Every participant is required to:
- Complete the full ten or sixteen week program
- Complete entrance and exit surveys on the EDULINK web-site
- Behave in a responsible and professional manner
- Submit a complete copy of a Research Paper or Power Point presentation (depending on the individual laboratory’s policy)
- Submit an abstract of their research in the required format
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities.
Participants should expect to spend more than 40 hours per week and more than 8 hours per day in activities and/or research related to their internships.
Length of Appointment
An appointment is for 10 weeks during the Summer Term (May through August) or for 16 weeks during the Fall Term (August through December) and Spring Term (January through May).