Premium Content for Members Only

Job Board >> Browse Articles >> featured

6 Illegal Interview Questions to Avoid

38 Comments
6 Illegal Interview Questions to Avoid

Wondering which questions you’ll be asked during your job interview? You should expect the usual ones, such as “Where do you see yourself in five years?” and “What’s your greatest weakness?” But then there are more colorful questions, such as “What animal best describes you?” and “If you were stranded on a desert island,...

Nalalynn

what about wording on an application for a job

brucemonster

no comment

• Bestdscard_max50

Mineo

Funda iphone | Funda iPhone4 I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often ..Funda iPhone 4 | Funda iPhone4 | caso iphone 4G |Funda de iphone4 | Funda iphone | Funda iPad2 | Carcasa Iphone 4 | Accesorios iPhone | accesorios ipad | Accesorios iPhone 4G | Funda iPad2 | Funda iPad2 | Funda iPad2 | accesorios ipad2

• Bestdscard_max50

Mineo

? Supercard DSTWO | acekard I recently came accross your Acekard 2i blog and have M3i Zero been reading Supercard along. I thought AK2i I would leave my dstwo comment. I dont know DSTTi what to say except that R4i Gold I have enjoyed reading. Nice R4i blog. r4i-sdhc I will keep Ez flash visiting this blog R4 DS very often..DSTT | Acekard 3DS | Supercard 3DS | Supercard DSTWO 3DS | acekard

Normukhamedov

Very interesting and helpful questions and answers. Thanks.

christi_sweetie

This is great information

alb2001

I'm over 50 but when I submit a resume I only include 10 years of experience. I don't put dates on anything over 10 years ago. It is completely acceptable not to answer questions on an interview. If I was asked what year I graduated High School (which is asking my age indirectly), I say "My HS diploma is on record. Next question?"

alb2001

I go out of my way to point out that I am I a US Citizen but I was born in the city I'm applying for a job in. If you have a family, it helps to discuss that too (in a very non-specific way) because it establishes stability. Stay away from politics, race, religion and sexual orientation; because, frankly it's not relevant.

phantasyconcepts

@agentedmonds: You don't think we should prefer US citizens in US government jobs? The Chinese prefer Chinese citizens in their government jobs. Canadians prefer Canadian citizens in their government jobs. Don't try to get a job for a job with the British government if you aren't a British subject. Why shouldn't we do the same? In fact, it is the one place where an American citizen can be guaranteed that he will get a job. The VA asks if you are a veteran and gives preferential treatment to veterans - and before anyone asks, that is a very good thing, because there are more homeless and unemployed veterans out there than there are people who have been discriminated against for their race, sex, sexual orientation and ethnicity combined. If there is anyone who deserves a job in the U.S., it is someone who has put on a uniform in order to defend it against foreign threats while the people who run the businesses are busy sending all of the jobs overseas. By the way, I am a veteran, and I am currently employed, but I did go two months with no income at all. I know how it feels first-hand. My younger brother, also a veteran, nearly lost his home because of a company playing games and firing him for not working on a day he was on drills for the National Guard - of course, they won't admit to that and claimed that he was an unsafe worker, which explains why they kept him on as a temporary employee for nearly two years and then told the temp agency he was through working for them (but failed to mention it to him). Let's face it. I left a government job for the private sector in order to get more pay - especially since my education is going to cost me so much money to pay back - but there is no better job for stability than a government job, unless you count being a union teacher. That is the only job where you can be totally ineffective and continue to get raises just by staying employed.

msgates

Employers can re-word their questions to get ANY "illegal or discriminatory" information while staying within the letter of the law.

Right now, if they're offering a job to someone on American soil--for all intents and purposes, they can do ANYTHING they want, so long as their checks cash.

tekctrl

I am seeing more and more employers accepting applications only through their website. The website then asks for your birth date, full SSN, marital status, etc. Failure to complete any of these fields results in "rejected; incomplete". Entering partial data gets the same result. At the end of the application you're required to certify that all responses are correct and complete, so entering anything but correct and complete data constitutes lieing on your application. So far I've been refusing to apply to these employers, but there are more of them daily.

• Bob_tux_max50

BobbyB444

Here's a silly question, in an interview for a public, mid-level government position: "If a developer/billionaire/whomever died, and left in his will that YOU (and only "you") were the beneficiary of $1 million because of your work on behalf of the public, would you accept it?" My reply was yes, but would in turn donate it to wither one of his favorite charities, or instead, apply it towards a local community effort that is in dire need. I certainly wouldn't keep it, and I'm sure the deceased's family would either contest it, or allow it to go through legally--up to the Probate Court. How else would one respond??

• Blossom_max50

CaseLoad77

I still have faith that not everyone is out to get a person, There are good employers who are looking for good people. I figure the best way to know anything is after the interview is over. Ask the interviewer certain questions about things that may crop up about your past. Get it out in the open and deal with it. They will either forgive it and call you back or not.

• Blossom_max50

CaseLoad77

Hi Mared.

I belive age discrimination and bankrupsty will now play a large part in not being hired. I am 54 and loss job lost all. One thing for sure if God mean for you to get a certain job, you will indeed get it at all costs

Mared

msgates is correct. I applied for a job at Windstream. They asked for my age on the application. I got a dear john letter. I have owned two companies and have a business degree. Un fortunately I am over 50 which I believe leaves me out of every opportunity. If I leave my age out of the application when I have the interview then I get the 'sorry' letter anyways.