Kyle Stone | GovCentral Contributing Writer
The mission of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is ‘to meet the needs of the Nation’s veterans and their families today and tomorrow’. The VA workforce aims to function as a single, comprehensive service provider to the men and women who serve the Nation.
The Five Goals of the Veterans Affairs Department:
● Strategic Goal 1: Restore the capability of veterans with disabilities to the greatest extent possible and improve the qualtiy of their lives and that of their families.
● Strategic Goal 2: Ensure a smooth transition for veterans from active military service to civilian life.
● Strategic Goal 3: Honor and serve veterans in life and memorialize them in death for their sacrifices on behalf of the Nation.
● Strategic Goal 4: Contribute to the public health, emergency management, socioeconomic well-being, and history of the Nation.
● Enabling Goal: Deliver world-class service to veterans and their families by applying sound business principles that result in effective management of people, communications, technology, and governance.
As such, the VA manages the Veterans Health Administration (VHA), one of the largest health care systems in the world. VHA physicians, nurses, and other employees provide health care for nearly 5 million veterans and their families per year. VHA personnel practice all medical specialties and provide medical and rehabilitative treatment of all kinds, from acute to long term care. The VHA has a preeminent role in educating physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals. More than half of the physicians currently practicing in the United States received some part of their training in one of their care facilities.
The Department of Veterans Affairs wants its employees to go above and beyond in the field of education. For interested employees, there are a wealth of opportunities to expand your horizons.
Number of Civilian Employees: 239,000
Types of Occupations:
Search for Jobs
Click here for a current list of Veteran’s Health Administration vacancies.