Job Board >> Browse Articles >> Featured Jobs


Lose the Cube: More Outdoor Government Careers

Chris McConnell | GovCentral

Recreation Assistant

Job Title

Recreation Aid/Assistant


Department of the Interior


Bureau of Land Management


Recreation Aids and Technicians perform a wide range of duties in support of the Bureau’s recreation program: assisting in inventories, evaluating visitor patterns, preparing and maintaining recreation sites, briefing visitors and answering their questions, or conducting visitor patrols on land and water, responding to emergency situations, and administering first aid/CPR. Litter removal from campgrounds and recreation facilities, hoses down toilets and routine maintenance on signs, etc. Requires weekend field work; work is performed in an outdoor environment and may involve rough terrain.


To qualify as a Recreation Aid, you’ll need to have some work experience and a high school diploma or GED. To qualify as a Recreation Assistant, a college degree and experience working a summer camp or as a river guide will greatly improve your chances of getting hired. Sometimes these are seasonal jobs that last six months. A great way to find out if this is the type of career you want to have.


GS-2 to GS-7. For the 2010 Fiscal Year this is projected to be between 9.18 – 20.26 USD /hour. Congress is still debating the pay increase. The salary may vary based on the locality of the position.

Search for Jobs

Search for Recreation Assistant jobs

Govcentral School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use Govcentral's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.