Job Board >> Browse Articles >> Featured Jobs

Keep the Peace: Federal Law Enforcement Careers

Chris McConnell | GovCentral

There are over 88 federal agencies that have some sort of law enforcement or investigative unit. While you may be most familiar with the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and the U.S. Secret Service, there are tens and thousands more brave citizen that have made the commitment to protect and serve their department, agency, and country.

What all these careers share in common is a respect for the law and its citizens, but also the responsibility to successfully carry out the agency mission, whether that is protecting our wildlife as a Refuge Officer or the ensuring that foreign diplomats are safe while traveling in the United States on official business at the Diplomatic Service.

We will also be profiling the lesser known Uniform Division of the Secret Service and the in demand positions as a Correctional Officer with the Bureau of Prisons.

To succeed in these positions you will need to be in top physical shap and of course a steady hand. But most importantly, nearly all of these positions require a 4-year bachelor’s degree or an equal amount of life experience, preferably within law enforcement.

These careers have wonderful benefits and will enable you to continue to thrive in your career with continual trainings and edcuation advancement.

Read on and find out more about Federal Law Enforcement Careers.

Special Agent at the Department of State Diplomatic Security

Correctional Officer at the Bureau of Prisons

Special Agent at the U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division

Refuge Officer at the National Wildlife Refuge System

• 10

mike1ffm

I guess I can forget Jobs in the federal and I guess also State systems or for that matter any LEO postions my being 55 years old

But i geuss I stayed to long in Germany..

I have worked over 30 years in Security here in Gemany and I am relocating very soon back to the USA any jobs out there in Security or in LE for someone my age

Nasrine

I can see where McConnell is coming from when stating: "Much like the military has age restrictions on the upper limit for an individual to enlist, law enforcement careers require that officers, agents, and investigators can keep pace with the physically demanding components of the position." Yet the outcome of the terrain should be analyzed by knowledgeable, skilled, able, educated, people, who may speak even several in demand languages. What happens to the application of these people with age limitation?

monicameraz

hello my name is monica, i am interested in a government job i want to work for the law . i will start in the bottom doing anything and work my way up. my dad works as a border patrol agent he started at the bottom and now hes a at high rank i am so proud of him and now i want him to be prud of me. give me a chance. i only have a GED though i hope its enough.

riconvabeach

but thats only on special agents the other side has no age limit.
    just apply for something else

riconvabeach

yes i went to a job fair you have to be under 37 becuase you have to retire by a certain age

• This_hard__chip__memory__full_001_-_copy_max50

timothysbird

Dear sir(s),

My brother is the U.S. DIPLOMAT to Taiwan. Counterterrorism.Although it seems I do not qualify for a position working for the U.S. State dept. because of my age (49) dob: 01 / 28 / 1960. I would like to help.I held a confidential,classified,secret,and top secret clearance in 1978.The height of the "COLD WAR" btwn. Russia and the U.S..If there is any way you could see to it that I could qualify under "special circumstances".Please forward to me. I was recently arrested for a crime I did not commit.again, I employ the catch phrase-"special circumstances" as they honestly were.I will continue to carry my head high.Do anything to insure the protection of this great country.I love my country! I have special skills,contacts,and abilities.I am willing to make them avail. to you at "ALL TIMES" ......! * - / please contact my "big brother" He, ( needs to know )...info.unawares to him.Concerning detailed info.IMPORTANT...may I stress?...September the twentyninenth 2008 to May 29, 2009.My phone: (714) 610-2550 / brownfieldsblackbird@gmail.com / Timothy Mark Brownfield. / G.Brownfield 2F,No.13,Lane 157,Alley 30
    Yong Ji Rd.
    Taipei 110
    Taiwan

Johnny Blackbird
    1600 E. First

• Latif_max50

latif

I want membership in ur compani

• Tublay__kapangan__kibungan_192_max50

metot

that's passion in work:)

ronnie4

55 year olds, do not stand a chance,some 50 year olds are in better shape than 20 year olds.

• July09_013_max50

HelenMarteen

HOW TO APPLY TO SPECIAL AGENT, AM US CITIZEN AND I HAVE 52 YEARS, LIVE IN FLORIDA, I HAVE ANY CHANGE TO WORK WITH? THANK YOU HELEN MARTEEN

• Bald-eagle-head_max50

McConnell

In some cases, they need to be apppointed and begin their service before their 37th birthday. This does not mean that officers will be forced to retire at 37. Much like the military has age restrictions on the upper limit for an individual to enlist, law enforcement careers require that officers, agents, and investigators can keep pace with the physically demanding components of the position.

cdinwiddie

I'm currently looking for a position in law enforcement for the more mature individual. OK, I'm older than the 37 year cut off, are there any positions available?

• Dscn2788jpg_max50

skyann9

The age limit that is being required for these positions discriminate against older Americans who are looking for work. There are older than age 40 employees already and they are not based on their age to keep their job. So why then must a person be under age 40 to get a job?

dhancy

Where do I sign up?

hyser

Amazing how the government can tell employers not to age discriminate, but they do it on many jobs.
    If their going to to do this I,think they should keep the same practices to include the presidency and congress people.