Premium Content for Members Only

Highest Paying Federal Careers for 2008

11 Comments
Highest Paying Federal Careers for 2008

It is important for all federal job seekers to keep on top of which positions are in greatest demand and pay the highest salaries. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) keeps track of the highest paying federal careers – updated annually, this list should help job seekers to be aware of what a top-notch government job looks like.

Here is a list of the most in demand federal government careers ranked according to salary. Learn more about each high payin...

This is an excellent source! I had no idea Public Policy was so lucrative. Now I'm rethinking law school...

• Obamarally_max50

n00617012

go away

• Caldwell_max50

vaecc

Jenna and others interested in Homeland Security jobs - try the state and private sectors first. I just finished up a 7 year stint in the private sector and got some great experience had I decided to stay in the field. States especially are more apt to hire someone just out of school and let them build a resume. The pay isn't always that great, but it is great experience.

• N508027676_702226_4197_max50

Jordan79

I have currently finished as much education as I could to receive my Bachelor's Degree in Science. While having finished my major in biology and the MCAT, I'm still waiting for the perfect job under this type of work. Having perhaps the entire year before I attend medical school, it is rather an important time to work as fast as I can to finish a number of debts. Once I finish paying the financial aid programs I used for college, medical insurance, etc., then I'll be able to go to medical school by then. But only if it were easier to achieve by a getting a job faster!

Wow, I obviously chose the wrong career path! Jenna, The govt in general is returning to experience over education except in the higher management levels. Honestly, try starting out by getting into a GS-083 police, or GS 080 Security Spec position.
    Can't do anything about the female thing. :-)

Jenna

I am fresh out of college with a criminal justice and homeland security major...you think I would be able to get a job, but.......I have two things working against me 1.) I am a attractive woman (so no one thinks I am intelligent or they don't take me seriously, when I graduated 3rd in my class 2.) all these government jobs require experience, but how can you get experience if all the jobs out there require experience...no one will even hire you so you can get that so called experience.....

The hiring process stinks in my opinion....

• Bald-eagle-head_max50

McConnell

I think chemistry is lumped in with "Biological Sciences", which we intended as a wider category.

yaribeyrc

I thought that chemistry was a very good choice for a goverment job, but I do not see it in this list. Chemistry is a very hard career,but it does not seem to be recognized.

Yanni122

why do you have two wait so long to get a job?

Yanni122

why are companies always saying that they are hiring but never hire people?

• Shannon_lacey_us_army_oct_1992_max50

IRmediator

According to the 2008 Federal Pay Rates (http://www.fedsmith.com/pay_rates/): If one was a GS7/Step1 (BA/BS degree with honors and no creditable service) hoping to land a job living in the Washington D.C. area (amongst the thousands of other applicants applying for the exact same job), one could expect annual pay of $39,330 (oooohhhh... with a whole $39K per year one could actually be able to afford balogna and hotdogs, a really efficient one-bedroom apartment and a really tricked out Geo Metro!!!); a GS9/Step5 (a MA/MS/J.D./LL.B degree with over five years of creditable service), one should expect an annual pay of $54,525; a GS11/step6 (that is three or more academic years of progressively higher graduate level education leading to a Ph.D., and with over 7 years of creditable service), one should expect an annual pay of $67,908. In Washington D.C., $68K per year is like making $50K per year in Ohio. Sounds thrilling right?