Job Board >> Browse Articles >> Local / State

Five Steps to a State or Local Gov't Job

Five Steps to a State or Local Gov't Job

Wisconsin State Capitol (source: Wisconsin Department of Agriculture)

Jonathan Zuk / GovCentral Contributor

Frustrated searching for a federal job? It may not all be your fault. Though government spending is still increasing, the growth of new federal government jobs is actually slowing down. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, federal government employment is expected to decrease by 3.7 percent by 2016. Though there will still be several thousands of federal vacancies due to baby boomer retirements, most new government and policy job growth will come state and local governments.

These government areas in particular are expected to show steady job growth, with overall employment expected to increase by over 1.4 million, or 7.4 percent over the next ten years. Though sometimes lower-paying, these positions usually require shorter hiring processes than their federal counterparts.

Follow these five steps to find the perfect state or local government job by clicking “next” below, or click on a specific topic that is of interest to you.

Step 1: Decide the Municipality/State Where You Want to Work

Step 2: Learn More About State/Local Job Titles that Interest You

Step 3: Search for State Jobs

Step 4: Learn More About the Department/Division Where You Are Applying

Step 5: Apply for the Job

Not sure why you need a government job? Here are five reasons.

jonesjac

Hello. I have read numerous comments regarding the pursuit of a government job. Some not so good. Why is the process so complex? I have more than 10 years of adminstrative experience. My expertise also includes a managerial side. What must a person do to get on board with the government? I see the 5 step program, however, it doesn't have a personalized approach. I was told it's not what you know, or how many degrees you have..it's actually WHO you know.
    Thanks for listening.

Freedom59

I have seven years in Administrative Assistance and twenty years of data entry skills.

rpaddyfoot

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WORK .....NO MATCH FOUND, I LIVE
    IN PALM HARBOR FL

• Winter_max50

starmarie1979

I have been applying and applying.....no responses,I live in Atlanta GA

I have 6 years of experience as an inpatient psychiatric social worker. I have been a psychiatric emergency social worker for almost 2 years now. It would wonderful to see an opening or two occasionally within the Department of Mental Health for inpatient work in MA. This would be an ideal job for me.

laujohnson

I AM EMPLOYED BY THE STATE OF PENNA.DEPT OF PUBLIC WELFARE AS AN INCOME MAINTENANCE CASEWORKER...TRYING TO RELOCATE TO CHARLESTON/COLUMBIA,S.C...NEED TO BE CLOSER TO MY 88 Y/O MOTHER WHO RESIDES IN CHARLESTON AREA..NEED ADDRESS/PHONE # OF PERSONNEL DEPT....

• Dinz_max50

rufyrafy

My name is Rufino C. Fajardo Jr. i Have a degree of financial Managerial Accouting.And Im a Graduate. Im seeking a goverment position within that field or anything related to it im a fast learner an a hard worker .I will be glad to submit my resume.

• 100_0135_max50

mila

looking for a job as " CAREGIVER" zip code 60527

• Picture_1_max50

gildapastor

My name is Gilda Pastor. I have a BA in Humanities with a concentration in Fine Arts- Painting, with a minor in Education. I also have a Master Degree in Public Affairs specialized in Museum and Gallery Administration. Actually, I am finishing my Doctor Degree thesis in HIstory. I have 10 years of experience teaching from first grade to university level. I am searching for a job as US Mail stamp designer, Spanish Language Instructor for Federal Agents, or as translator, Art consultant for Government, job that requires a high level of creativity. I live in Puerto Rico, but I am willing to relocate at the East Coast.

banikc

My name is Colleen and I recently lost my position of 20 years with a former member of Congress due to the loss of the elections. I have managed the offices of this particular former member of congress for the last 15 years and am looking for a supervisory/management position on federal, state or local level in order to maintain my current retirement status.

Tonukarin

my name is Emmanuel Patience Tonukarin, I Have an NCE in Agricultural Science and also A A diploma in computer teahcers trainning cource. i am looking for job any where in Nigeria

jainairsr

HI MY NAME IS JAINAIR.S.R .I HAV A DEGREE IN SOCIOLOGY AND I'M MSW GRADUATE MY ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION IS POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN COMPUTER APPLICATION AND COMPUTER TEACHERS TRAINING COURSE.i'M LOOKING FOR A GOV JOB ANYWHERE IN INDIA. .

jainairsr

My name is Jainair.S.R .I'm MSW Graduate, an im seeking a goverment position within that field or anything related to it im a fast learner an a hard worker .I will be glad to submit my resume

joerogers2

ive been in the transportation field for well over 12 years .an im seeking a goverment position within that field or anything related to it im a fast learner an a hard worker .

• My_job_picture_max50

Boop82857

My name is Leah Ivy. I will graduate Respiratory Therapy school with an AS in Applied Science. I would like to work on a military base or VA hospital. I care deeply for my patients, and since my husband is a veteran, one of these facilities would be a perfect fit for me. I am extremely conscientious and responsible. I will be glad to submit my resume