Guide for Federal Job Seekers with Disabilities
U.S. Office of Personnel Management, By Valerie Lipow, Kim Isaacs, Allan Hoffman, Ryck Lent Monster Contributing Writers
Agency Selective Placement Program Coordinator (SPPC)
Most Federal agencies have a Selective Placement Program Coordinator, Special Emphasis Manager (SEM) for employment of adults with disabilities, or equivalent, who helps agency management recruit, hire and accommodate people with disabilities at that agency. These Coordinators or Managers have many roles and responsibilities, including:
- Advising managers about candidates available for placement in jobs under special hiring authorities, and providing managers with information on reasonable accommodation and needs assessments for applicants and employees.
- Helping managers determine the essential duties of the position, identify architectural barriers and possible modifications that allow people with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Helping persons with disabilities get information about current job opportunities, types of jobs in the agency and how these jobs are filled, and reasonable accommodation.
- Working with public and private organizations involved in the placement of applicants with disabilities to provide information about their agency program and job opportunities and to facilitate the placement of applicants with disabilities in their agency.
- Monitoring and evaluating selective placement program efforts and activities for people with disabilities to determine their effectiveness, and making changes as needed to improve program effectiveness.
Managers develop, manage and evaluate the agency’s Affirmative Employment Program for Individuals with Disabilities. They are primarily located at agency headquarters and can provide information on coordinators at local installations.
Each agency is responsible for monitoring the activities of its designated Selective Placement Coordinators and also for notifying OPM when a new coordinator is selected. Use the Selective Placement Program Coordinator (SPPC) directory to find a Coordinator.