Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Government Internships

How to Find the Perfect Federal Internship

How to Find the Perfect Federal Internship

Kathryn Troutman / Monster.com

Federal internships can be a great way to start a career in government. But before you get an internship, you have to find it, which in some ways can be trickier than finding a job.

The big difference between job hunting and looking for an internship is that internships are “excepted” positions, not “competitive” positions. What that means is instead of using Monster Gov’t/Public Service and USAJOBS to search all agencies at once, you have to go to each agency’s Web site.

Related Links
  • Do you want to learn more about careers with the federal government? Find one here.

• Looking for scholarships to take your skill set to the next level? Find one here.

Here’s how you to start your hunt:

• Make a list of agencies that are of interest to you.

• Go to each agency’s home page.

• Look for a link for employment, careers, students or interns.

• If you can’t find any of the above, use the search field to look for “student internships.”

• Read through descriptions of internship programs.

• Once you find a program you like, try putting the name of the program in the search field to find more information.

• Look for actual program announcements with dates, pay and instructions for how to apply.

• Bookmark these pages and write information down or print it out.

• Write a federal-style resume that covers the skills in the announcement.

Here are how a few of my own federal internship hunts for positions at NASA and the National Science Foundation go:

National Air & Space Administration: I found a great Flash animation on the home page, but I couldn’t find the internship info for “regular students,” only Astronaut Educators. So I went to the top to search, typed in “Student Internships” and found NASA’s Student Intern Program Homepage. I still haven’t found the real internship/job announcement with dates, salary and how-to-apply instructions, but at least I found a good description of the internship programs.

National Science Foundation (NSF): Where are the internship listings with closing dates, salaries, and other job-related information? Time to use the search feature on the NSF site. I typed in “Student Internships” and found the Student Appointments page. This is a little better, with more information about the types of internship programs offered, but where are the real listings? Back on the search results page, I clicked on a link that took me to the Department of Energy’s Web site, which provides a good description of an internship for a science major on a page for Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships. This page includes dates, pay, length of appointment, and other information.

The Bottom Line

Yes, finding the good federal internship listings and descriptions with each agency can be time-consuming, but the time you spend is very worthwhile. Federal internships can pay well and include advancement and benefits.

• 3_max50

hnjkhjfgkl

==== http://www.buygreatshoes.org ====
    =====Accept credit card and paypal,welcome we will do the best seveice to you,thanks
    Cheap Nike air Jordan shoes33$,Air Force 1 33$, Nike dunks SB shoe,Nike Shox shoe. Wholesale Cheap Nike shoes with discount jersey, High quality T-shirts,ED hardy t-shirts,ED Hardy hoodies,ED hardy shoes,ED hardy Jeans,Evisu shoes,GUCCI shoes,LV Handbag,Chanel Handbag……welcome to
    ==== http://www.buygreatshoes.org ====

Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $33

Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $33

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $12

New era cap $9

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $18

==== http://www.buygreatshoes.org ====

DanThoms

Internships
    Is a great way to learn new skills or to hone the ones you have. Problems arise from the needed count on your credits and what degree you are seeking. A gpa must be maintained, which should be no problem considering the amount of money it has already cost myself. If your serious about your education I’m 35 and going back to classes to make myself stand out more.
    Mentorships are how I learned to do trade work and undertake some of my accomplishments so far. From my searches and selection on who to work for I found many internships that either pay while you learn or even will find living arraignments for you during your term of employment.
    I had high hopes before learning the above, noted. At this point I still have favorites that I will re apply when I’m closer on the education level needed. My only concern is even though they do look at your credits that during tough times as these, high unemployment. They would consider your background also, when comparing.

Hams5

logistics, supply, procurement internship in PA

martige

I am looking for a paralegal internship position.

Shara

To become a federal Parole Officer what qualifications should you have to obtain this position?

angrandf

I go to school in the Boston area and I'm looking to intern this coming fall. Are there any Federal internships in this region or are most of them based out of D.C.?

arornelas04

I am looking for a job working with our veterans. I feel that I will learn even more helpping then get back into life with there lived ones. I have my Masters in Guidance Counseing in LMHC LRC. Being a vocational rehabilitation counselor along with mental health counselor I would help our vets suceed in life.

Audrey R Ornelas arornelas04@yahoo.com

maryonelms

I would like to be looking for job being a Chef cook!

maryonelms

I would like to work for the government in Chef cook!

• Greek_max50

JRoss

I had a government internship with the treasury dept. and even though I didn't end up there - it was a very worthwhile experience. I think that any internship that you get would be worth it. Apply to as many as possible.

captjack

Excellent information. What the age limitation for becoming taking on a Federal Internship. What kind of pay comes with the position? Thanks J. Miller