Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Government Job Search

Growing Federal Jobs: Health Care

Growing Federal Jobs: Health Care

Kyle Stone | Associate Editor, GovCentral

Government health care jobs are incredibly varied, and anyone considering this field has a vast array of positions to select from. But so many jobs can make it tough to decide which position best matches your interests and aptitude.

Many health care positions serve patients directly, working with individuals, their illness or problem and their family. Yet, taking a job in health care does not automatically mean that you will work one on one with sick people or that you must be able to stand the sight of blood. Take, for example, the position of clinical laboratory technician or medical records specialist. Much of their work occurs away from the patient.

In Demand Occupations

Medical Assistants
Projected Salary: $29,000
Employees Needed: 199,000
Projected Growth: 27+%
Average Education Level: Some College or Higher
Who’s Hiring: Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Health and Human Services

Pharmacy Technicians
Projected Salary: $81,000
Employees Needed: 178,000
Projected Growth: 27+%
Average Education Level: Some College or Higher
Who’s Hiring: Air Force, Department of Veterans Affairs

Dental Hygienists
Projected Salary: $48,000
Employees Needed: 82,000
Projected Growth: 27%
Average Education Level: Some College or Higher
Who’s Hiring: Army, Air Force, Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Health and Human Services

Mental Health Counselors
Projected Salary: $33,000
Employees Needed: 50,000
Projected Growth: 27%
Average Education Level: College or Higher
Who’s Hiring: Navy, Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security

Surgical Technologists
Projected Salary: $48,000
Employees Needed: 47,000
Projected Growth: 18% – 26%
Average Education Level: Some College or Higher

How to Prepare

Because health care is so diverse, colleges and universities often divide their programs into individual schools. These include schools of medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, public health, veterinary medicine, and science and engineering. Expertise in biomedicine and health sciences might be combined with computer science and electrical engineering.

A high school diploma is needed to become a dental assistant; completion of a technical program is required to become a medical laboratory technician; a two-year associate degree is needed to become a forensic science technician; and a bachelor’s degree is a must for a medical technologist.

Whatever schooling you need, financial assistance is a very real possibility. Individual schools and programs can help determine what funds are available.

GovCentral Degree Center

Information Compiled from CareerVoyages.gov and 2006-16 BLS Projections.

Previous Step Next Step
3: Biotechnology 1: Homeland Security

• Photo_user_banned_big

captain2010

Thank you very much for this article from the most wonderfulافلام سيكس نكت جنسية دليل المحمول I hope always follow such rave articles because it help me to knowledge and technological development for me and my country and observers always be the first of all what she presents جنس تحميل صور قصيدة

jonahclint

Along with the new health care bill will come a lot of federal health care jobs, in every work field possible related to this domain. That is why, anyone who has a health related degree will be able to find a federal job, maybe even the one he's been dreaming about all his life.
    Narconon

DenFletcher

The best thing about federal jobs in the health care department is that there are that many possibilities that you can certainly find something that best fits your skills. The hard part is deciding exactly what you want and that should be your start. First make a list of things you want from your job, than a list of what you can do and you will find the answer.
    steroids for sale

jeryruse

Some jobs in the health claim, such as dental assistants, optical and medical records coding experts do not receive much attention, but they need workers.

cheap ambien without a prescription

LarryChadwell

Retired RN nurse. Looking for embassy work position overseas.

Bellabag

I'm a Histology Technician, with over 20 yrs of experience. Looking for a position in that field. I currently work for the Federal Government., in a different capacity

Sunrise11

I am interested in Occupational Health Investigation

govcentral2008

How about our new Commander n Chief do OJT for those, with a High School Diploma?

• Copy_of_0046_max50

single06

I have a 2yr degree in Medical Office Administration. I can't seem to get a job in the medical field. I also have 6 or more in customer service and collections.. I am ready to work in the medical field or even get a government job. I have learn all that i fell there is to learn about collecting money and tired of making people pay there bills. I wanna help people in the medical field whether it is behind the scene or in person. I have applied at hospitals and doctor offices and they say i need experience. So i have the degree but not the experience. If anyone can help ...

tatayon

I have over 20 years experience in the supply field. The last 3 years I spent working overseas as a contractor as a Logistics Manager. Since returning to the North Carolina area I have not been able to find employment in my field. If there is anyone out there with any leads or contacts it would be appreciated.

danhamer

It is difficult to find work at my age in a city filled with college graduates. My education is almost 2 years complete but the people skills over 20 years in direct support of people and 9 of that in the Emergency Sector in communicatiions, I have something to contribute.

• Imagem_340_max50

afma1952

You can start job part time with Herbalife . see at www.herbalife.com . My ID number is: 43-0990790.
    send a email to francisco : afma1952@yahoo.com.br

nerodian

i diane nero have not havee a job since 2002 and i fell like i have been discriminated because of my lifestyle am transgender i have been sending out resumes and having a differcult time of justice and freedom i need some one to pursue this as far good expression i have submit myself in equailty virginia for volteer work but now i want to work with doctor and lawyers on professional basis in pursue my lifestyle psysical and emotional of 100 percent female i feel that i am good candiate you can e-mail dianenero749@yahoo.com or write back with reply at 1301 goddin st richmond va 23231 thanks ms nero looking toward talking to you soon