Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Government Job Search

Growing Federal Jobs: Education

Growing Federal Jobs: Education

Kyle Stone | Associate Editor, GovCentral

Employment of preschool, kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers is projected to grow as fast as average jobs in the US. Job prospects are expected to be favorable, with particularly good prospects for teachers in high-demand fields like math, science, and bilingual education, or in less desirable urban or rural school districts.

The employment of school teachers is expected to grow by 12 percent before 2016. Because of large number of the occupations in this group, this growth rate will create 479,000 additional teacher positions, more than all but a few but just a few other occupations before 2016.

In Demand Occupations

Child, Family, and School Social Workers
Projected Salary: $35,000
Employees Needed: 114,000
Projected Growth: 9% – 17%
Average Education Level: College or Higher
Who’s Hiring: Department of Education, Department of Veterans Affairs, Army Medical Command,

Instructional Coordinators

Who’s Hiring: Army, Air Force

Social and Human Service Assistants
Projected Salary: $32,000
Employees Needed: 153,000
Projected Growth: 9% – 17%
Average Education Level: High School | Some College
Who’s Hiring: Department of Education, Department of Labor, Department of Health and Human Services

Training and Development Specialists
Projected Salary: $61,000
Employees Needed: 84,000
Projected Growth: 9% – 17%
Average Education Level: Some College or Higher
Who’s Hiring: Department of Education, Department of Labor, Army

How to Prepare

More teachers will be drawn from a reserve pool of career changers, substitute teachers, and teachers completing alternative certification programs. In recent years, the total number of bachelor’s and master’s degrees granted in education has been increasing slowly. But many States have implemented policies that will encourage even more students to become teachers because of a shortage of teachers in certain locations and in anticipation of the loss of a number of teachers to retirement.

Learn more: Education Channel

Information Compiled from CareerVoyages.gov and 2006-16 BLS Projections.

Previous Step Next Step
9: Automotive 7: Advanced Manufacturing

• Photo_user_banned_big

captain2010

Thank you very much for this article from the most wonderfulافلام سيكس نكت جنسية دليل المحمول I hope always follow such rave articles because it help me to knowledge and technological development for me and my country and observers always be the first of all what she presents جنس تحميل صور قصيدة

• Icp_max50

jus10

wuz up

• Icp_max50

jus10

hey

arjunbhr

I just search for jobs lectureer in philosophy. so suggest me where posts are vacant

Hart2233

After reading your article about the "In Demand Educational Opportunities" especially the Training and Development Specialist, where are these types of jobs and how does someone apply? I retired from the Air Force in 96 and have been providing computer training at law firms for the past 8 years. I have an MBA, the experience, and a strong desire to make a contribution.
    H. Barnes

• Oh_grandma_011_max50

Mikie

I am checking out the alternate programs to become a teacher. i have an degree in human resource adminstration. I have been a drill sgt in the miltitary and a instructor in the career that I am in now.

m jones

GloriaThicklen

I would enjoy becoming a teacher or education specialist near miltary base in the south are there any jobs available. I am a certified teacher embarking upon a second career and flexible.
    glo

teri9rit

I am a filipina graduate of MA EDUCATION with science specialization AND CURRENTLY FINISHING my CAREGIVER course with certificate on childcare would it be possible for me to apply as INSTRUCTIONAL COORDINATOR or as a SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKERS my quiries can i be given a chance to work in the USA i dont have work permit and visa but i have a valid passport.

destin

I would be interested in training and development specialist fields- I have an Associate Degree
    Please how do I apply

rafaelzornosa

Thanks for the info. I will start working as a Substitute Teacher on this coming August and if I like it, I will become a full time bilingual teacher