Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Military-to-Federal


10 Steps to a Government Job - For Military Service Members

10 Steps to a Government Job - For Military Service Members

GovCentral and

Step 1: Choosing the Right Path in Government Work

Military experience almost always teaches you specialized skills. A common question received at GovCentral relates to how a current or ex-military member can find a government career which will best match the skills and abilities they have already attained. For active duty service members, this may help you determine whether or not you need to change your specialty in order to prepare you for the field you strive to be a part of.

Making a list of all of your credentials can help you to determine what your government specialty is. You can also request verification documents of your military experience and training, which is useful in preparing your resume and establishing your capabilities with the departments you are planning to apply to. Verification is also helpful if you are applying to a college or vocational institution. These institutions want information on your military training and experience, as well as how this might relate to the civilian world.

Get Your VMET

To get your verification document, go to the VMET website (this site can only be accessed from a government computer network).

Skills Translator

All separating military personnel can electronically download and print their VMET document and personal cover letter from your military service from the VMET website. Simply click the “Request Document” and “Request Cover Letter,” tabs and print each of these documents after their downloaded.

You can get your verification document online as long as you have a current DoD Common Access Card (CAC) or have a current DFAS myPay PIN; however, you should retrieve it within 120 days prior to your separation. If you have problems getting your VMET and need assistance, check with your local Transition Counselor.

The Verification of Military Experience and Training document, DD Form 2586, is created from your automated records on file. It lists your military job experience and training history, recommended college credit information, and civilian equivalent job titles. This can be a huge help in writing your civilian resume.

Govcentral School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use Govcentral's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.