Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Military-to-Federal

10 Steps to a Government Job - For Military Service Members

10 Steps to a Government Job - For Military Service Members

GovCentral and Military.com

Returning to civilian life is an exciting time, and a complex undertaking. You should know the resources you have: transition assistance staff, personnel office staff, relocation specialists, education counselors, and many others can help you on your way. Yet at the end of the day, only you and your family can make the critical decisions that must be made. So where should you start?

Candidates who have served our country in the Armed Forces have a huge advantage over those who have not. It is generally believed that while military veterans may not have as many degrees as other candidates searching for government, they offer much, much more. Nobody can question the dedication and loyalty of somebody who has actively served the country for years: most civilian government jobs are intimately connected to the military’s ethical program of honor, commitment, integrity, and protecting the United States.

GovCentral and Military.com have joined forces to provide our members – both active duty and veterans alike – with this exclusive, comprehensive guide to prepare you for a transition from your military background into a new and exciting career as a civilian government worker.

Step 1: Choosing the Right Path in Government Work
Step 2: Transition Timeline and Checklist
Step 3: GI Bill, Education, and Certifications
Step 4: Choose an Agency
Step 5: Search for a Job
Step 6: Applying for the Job
Step 7: Meeting a Recruiter
Step 8: Background Check
Step 9: Common Hurdles Faced by Veterans
Step 10: Things You Can Do Today

ddog79

I'm not sure of the answer to darrocs' question as to the documentation, I only have my own experience as a point of reference. I applied for and was interviewed for a VA job while I was still on active duty as a Marine. I got the phone call about two weeks later with the job offer. I started work at the VA while I was on terminal leave, one week prior to my retirement date. I was told by our human resources person that I would not get paid by the VA for that week since I was still being paid by the military. I was please to find out two weeks later that she was wrong. I received my military and government pay for the one week overlap period. I assume it was legal since no one has said anything to me for the two years I've been a gov worker.

SFCRaymondrThibault

I always kept my documentation up to date. I was the only one on site in Salopi Turkey/ Zakhu Iraq in 1991 Operation Provide Comfort, 21st/22nd TAACOM Logistics with a NATO Secret Clearence. The Oficers had to depend on an SFC to update and brief them NCOS get it done.

• Scot_max50

darrocs

I am getting ready to retire from the Army soon and cannot find any documentation on whether or not I can start a GS position while on PTDY and Terminal Leave. Can anyone out there point me in the direction where I can find this documentation? Thanks.

Seven7777

Vietnam "era" vet. Desert Shield/Storm vet. Iraqi freedom vet. I have been in and out of the Military due to the treatment that vets have faced sinced the 70's when they try and re-enter civilian life. I've seen all the horrors. After Desert shield/Storm, I just knew that it was my last hoorah! Joined the Resrerves and worked in the private sector (on the civilian side). No respect. Mar 2003, I was called back to serve. Imagine that. Well, i tried it one final time and my unit got deployed in June 2006. My bubble was busted because my wife has severe rhumetoid arthritis. I could not go. Don't know what has happened to my unit but; I sure wish i could be there with them. At least i'm working in the private sector. right? Yeah. Got laid off in Mar 2008. Still laid off. Been applying everywhere. Attending Job-fairs etc....Am i bitter??? No. I just miss the military. Hoorah!!

• Capitol_dome_max50

Chris_Cosgriff

Unfortunately, the document is not available offline at this time. We'll work on creating a document version.

Is there any way to view this article as a Word document? I'm currently going through ACAP and would like to share the article with the other military members in my group that will be separating soon. Thanks.

I aim to help.

• Sldrgrl_max50

sldrgrl

Thanx Scoob

Veterans' Employment Opportunities Act of 1998, as amended
    When an agency accepts applications from outside its own workforce, the Veterans' Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) allows preference eligibles or veterans to compete for these vacancies under merit promotion procedures. Veterans who are selected are given career or career conditional appointments. Veterans are those who have been separated under honorable conditions from the armed forces with 3 or more years of continuous active service.
    Purpose of the Law
    Improved Access: The intent of the law is to open up opportunities to veterans that might otherwise be closed to them because agencies were increasingly limiting announcements just to "status" candidates - i.e., those who were already civil service employees. This law requires an agency to allow eligible veterans to apply when the agency will accept applications from individuals outside its own workforce. ("Agency," in this context, means the parent agency - i.e., Department of Defense, not Department of the Army.) Veterans' preference, however, does not apply to selections made under merit promotion procedures.

Improved Redress: The VEOA also allows a preference eligible who believes an agency has violated any of his or her rights under the veterans' preference laws or regulations, to file a formal complaint with the Department of Labor's Veterans Employment and Training Service (VETS). If VETS is unable to resolve the complaint within 60 days, the veteran may appeal to the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB). The law also makes a willful violation of veterans' preference a prohibited personnel practice under law.

Who is Eligible
    To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active Service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible.

How to Apply
    Agency announcements will say when veterans eligible under this law may apply. The veterans will be rated and ranked with other merit promotion eligibles. Those who are among the best qualified may be selected by the appointing official, but veterans' preference is not a factor. If selected, the veteran will be given a career or career conditional appointment, as appropriate.

• Sldrgrl_max50

sldrgrl

Thanks for your information however, what can a veteran who does not fall into either of the above categories (5pt; 10pt; or VRA preferences) do? Can you explain the VEOA of 1998? And are all former servicemembers who served 3 or more years continuously, with a honorable or general discharge eligible to claim this?
    Thanks

Get your resume done early and go see a vet counsoler.