Premium Content for Members Only

Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Advice and Options

Feds to Hire 600,000 Employees by 2012

56 Comments
Feds to Hire 600,000 Employees by 2012

600,000 over three years. 273,000 deemed mission-critical. That’s how many people the Partnership for Public Service projects the federal government will need to hire by 2012 to fill growing needs as well as replacing a baby-boomer workforce set to retire. These numbers and other hiring projections are listed just in time for some Labor Day reading in the third edition of the Where the Jobs Are report issued on Thursday.

That big number of 600,000 is the total hiri...

Well, this is in fact positive and exciting news. I do have one question though, how will I be able to keep a roof over my family's head and food on the table until 2012???????

ericjusitce

automotiveor fireman in the forestry

mborchert

Well I just finished my bachelors degree in criminal justice forensic so whats there for me just starting....? who will give me the start I need to succeed ? Some there are age factors certain jobs of interest and age might stop getting the job I would like.

Nitarad

Hello, I know for a fact the Social Security Administration has to fill positions in all areas. Go to SSA.gov to learn more about these jobs. If you have a second language such as Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Tagalog or other you are in luck. Sincerely Anita

rono

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. Are there any opportunities for someone like me in the Federal system? I am 4 years removed from school working in the X-Ray field. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to let me know. Thanks Ron O.

dkeomany

I'm in the U.S Marine Corps and my end of active service is on Dec 2011. I want to move into a Federal Law Enforcement career. How can I do that and what is my first step to proceed? Can anyone give me advice?

brucebruce

my interest is in the transportation field. Certified trainer in motor vehicle(buses).

marty425

Gee, all this is great news! Now tell me how to survive until they start hiring!

• 10

mike1ffm

Hallo,I have ben in Germany for most of my life ( BUT I AM AMERICAN BORN ) and I have worked in Security the wole time that means i have over 20 + years of experience in Seurity I started as a normal Guard and worked my why up to Superrvisor it took awhile we worked for the US Army in German but now that most of tthe Bases have closed in my area i need to find a new job..

But like one person said you have o KNOW SOMEBODY to get the job you apply for THE BIG QUESTION IS APPLY OR NOT ??

IT IS A WASTE OF TIME IF THEY ALREADY KNOW WHO THEY WILL HIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO START AT THE BOTTOM AGIN SURE NO PROBLEM BUT WHEN I DO THAT YOU GET THE RESPONSE TO MUCH EXPERIENCE ..........

kentvealjr

Hi Federal job. My name is Kent Veal. i applied to try to become a federal worker but i do not get called. I would love to ecome a worker at a federal job. I am a hard worker. i take my jobs seriously. I am not a criminal, and I do my job to the best of my ability. So please if you can give me a chance I would apreciated. My email is Kentvealjr@yahoo.com. Thank You

• Sda_max50

Quincy

Helo uncle samm i have been on site for quite sometime now how comes you are not thinking about hiring me?

• Up-s8gkb9cq19hkjqj4-l_max50

BigSarge

Though I am a Federal Employee of 26 years, I would like to know where these openings will be. I would love to change Departments. A big problem has been having to know someone to get in. I had hoped this site would be a good place to help locate a new position.

barry53

Where is the incentive bonus money coming from

antjohn2147

In 1995, I had to take a hardship from the U. S. Treasury Department to take care of my brother who died in 2005 and my mother who died in 2007. My brother died of the AIDS virus and my mother died from complications of congested heart failure due to a massive stroke. I worked an an career-conditional employee for nine years with a better than average performance each year. What can I do to be recertified to get any job back with the U. S. government. I am now able to relocate anywhere. I have no one here in Alabama but myself. Thanks!

• Gov_central_picture_max50

JerryGJones

On another point, if the government is truly serious about hiring veterans and disabled veterans, it would set up positions to work from home. About 95% of the disabled veterans I have seen, can't physically go into a workplace due to psychological issues or physical issues, yet if they could work from home on their computers, they actually could function as a viable employee.

The government should also monitor the Veteran's organizations who are supposed to help us veterans find work. I have applied to them, yet all they do is direct me to a couple of websites and do practically nothing to assist me in finding work. I might get a phone call from them once in 3 months saying they found a job for me, only to find out it has nothing to do with my skills. Veterans need hands on, personal, assistance in getting employed. Simply giving out website addresses is not what I would consider being a Veterans' Assistance representative. GOOGLE can do all of that within seconds.

The government is talking a lot about veterans assistance programs, but those programs are far from what we truly need.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, we are not "whining", we are simply stating the facts of the job-seeking community. It's obvious that the people complaining about our 'whining" already have government jobs, which we can't get. it would be nice to know how you got your government job...IE: Did you have family members or friends, who were already in the system, get you into that job or interview?......Do you have a bachelors Degree or higher?.... Did you have enough money to re-locate?

A lot of us veterans don't have Bachelor Degrees, or money to re-locate, or friends and family inside the system already.