Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Advice and Options >> GovGuru


The GovGuru Answers Your Career Questions

The GovGuru Answers Your Career Questions

Chris McConnell | GovCentral

You can read GovGuru every Thursday on GovCentral. Send your government career questions to with the subject line “Ask GovGuru”.

I am a Master Student in Health Policy and Management graduating in June 2010, and I am a huge fan of Uncle Sam and would LOVE to have a life-long career in the federal government.  But what worries me is that my training does not seem to give me a specialized skill set like epidemiology or environmental health do.  Which agencies would you suggest me to start with?   Many thanks,   DF

A Master’s degree, whatever it is, can open up a lot of opportunity’s in the federal government. Here are a few agencies and offices that seem to be right up your alley with a Masters in Health Policy and Management.



Health and Human Services

Department of Agriculture

Center for Disease Control & Prevention

HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has also created the Office of Health Reform, that is responsible for leading the department’s efforts in the current health care reform debate.

Beyond Uncle Sam, there are also numerous non-profit’s, research organizations, and foundations like the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente) that create best practices for health policy.

Before you graduate, look for an internship with a federal agency next summer. Yes, a job would be nice and should be a priority, but you’re probably a poor Grad student. A few extra months of beans and rice is worth getting your foot in the door.

Should I apply for a lower GS-grade to improve my chances of a job?

  • Img_0749_1_max50


    over 5 years ago


    The system is broken and unless there is a united front to fix the problems it will remain as it is at this point. I have been out of work for nearly a year and have over 20 years experience in the construction trades industry along with a BS degree in Technical Management and cannot find employment. I have applied for many positions at the various bases (there are 6 bases) located around me here in Colorado Springs, CO but not so much as a nibble. I have initiated a complaint with the DOL due to unfair hiring practices as I am also a VRA applicant and the jobs are currently held by non veteran people. All I can say is good luck in trying to get your foot in the door. Never give up the fight!!!!

  • Jennifer1_max50


    over 5 years ago


    It is extremely difficult to get into the government. I am a veteran and cannot seem to get anywhere. I did 4 years active duty and 11 years as a Air Force Reservist and have a Secret clearance. I have a BSBA in Management. Honestly, what does a girl have to do to get a job with the government without compromising my integrity????

  • Photo_user_blank_big


    over 5 years ago


    Why aren't their contact Phone numbers on Dept of Navy's HR Hiring System - Chart.

    How would a disabled person get assistance.

    The password reset system does not work.

    They don't respond to emails.

  • Photo_user_blank_big


    over 5 years ago


    I ' m living outside of United State and i believe that this site is not available outside of this country.

  • Photo_user_blank_big


    over 5 years ago


    You know I have been apply for positions for five years at Ft. Sam Houston. I am applying within my skill sets my last resume was coauthored with a representative from the OPM. Now they all are being turned down. The system is broken everybody knows it except the people reting the resumes. I even gat investigated for harassemnt because I appealed everything they tirned down. I was found not guilty of any wrong doing, but the same people who made these false allegations will remain rating my resume. Quite a system they have at Ft. Sam Houston Texas.

    Ken Carden

  • My_offices_006_max50


    over 5 years ago


    is there any jobs that you don't have to be 37 and under, its like it's discrimination...

Govcentral School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use GovCentral's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

Get Info

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.