Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Advice and Options >> GovGuru

The GovGuru Answers Your Career Questions

The GovGuru Answers Your Career Questions

Chris McConnell | GovCentral

Thanks for checking out our new feature, Ask GovGuru, where I will be answering your questions about government careers. Remember to send your questions to info@govcentral.com with the subject line "Ask GovGuru.

Let’s get started.

My son 26 is an excellent worker and has had his current job a little over two years. Early in his adulthood, he managed to mess up his credit terribly. Will this prohibit him from qualifying for a government/officer job?   Thanking you in advance! -CB

Your son’s credit history may affect his eligibility for some government jobs, but certainly not all of them. The bad news: for the short-term, your son will most like not be eligible for jobs that require a security clearance. This is due to the fact that the government considers these individuals security risks, since financial troubles can mean a greater likelihood someone can bribe them for sensitive information.

The good news: depending on your son’s educational background and what he is doing in his current job, he will certainly be eligible for many positions within the government. Regardless of his past history, he should apply for any position that interests him.

MSN Money has covered this topic as well and you can read about how to GovCentral’s Guide to Security Clearances

I would caution that lying or withholding information on his credit history, can hurt his chances of working for the government even more than his current situation. Just like in elementary school: honesty is the best policy.

Best Agency for a Master’s in Public Health?

• Img_0749_1_max50

bilbobaggins53

The system is broken and unless there is a united front to fix the problems it will remain as it is at this point. I have been out of work for nearly a year and have over 20 years experience in the construction trades industry along with a BS degree in Technical Management and cannot find employment. I have applied for many positions at the various bases (there are 6 bases) located around me here in Colorado Springs, CO but not so much as a nibble. I have initiated a complaint with the DOL due to unfair hiring practices as I am also a VRA applicant and the jobs are currently held by non veteran people. All I can say is good luck in trying to get your foot in the door. Never give up the fight!!!!

• Jennifer1_max50

jleague

It is extremely difficult to get into the government. I am a veteran and cannot seem to get anywhere. I did 4 years active duty and 11 years as a Air Force Reservist and have a Secret clearance. I have a BSBA in Management. Honestly, what does a girl have to do to get a job with the government without compromising my integrity????

yacc

Why aren't their contact Phone numbers on Dept of Navy's HR Hiring System - Chart.

How would a disabled person get assistance.

The password reset system does not work.

They don't respond to emails.

fred11

I ' m living outside of United State and i believe that this site is not available outside of this country.

carden

You know I have been apply for positions for five years at Ft. Sam Houston. I am applying within my skill sets my last resume was coauthored with a representative from the OPM. Now they all are being turned down. The system is broken everybody knows it except the people reting the resumes. I even gat investigated for harassemnt because I appealed everything they tirned down. I was found not guilty of any wrong doing, but the same people who made these false allegations will remain rating my resume. Quite a system they have at Ft. Sam Houston Texas.

Ken Carden

• My_offices_006_max50

cwalte38

is there any jobs that you don't have to be 37 and under, its like it's discrimination...