Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Advice and Options

5 Ways to Stay Motivated in Your Job Search

5 Ways to Stay Motivated in Your Job Search

Tania Khadder | GovCentral

Sit in front of laptop. Lie on couch. Eat pickles for lunch. Back to laptop.

Feel sorry for self. Feel sick of self. Tear hair out in frustration. And … back to couch.

If this is your 9-to-5 routine, you’re probably like 14 million other Americans: unemployed. And in addition to the frustration of looking for work, you might find yourself feeling a little lonely.

Sure, you chat with friends online all day. And you may have a family or significant other who comes home in the evening. But good old fashioned, face-to-face contact with another human being before dinner? Kind of rare these days.

In running my unemployment blog, I’ve received plenty of emails from readers. And although many of them were lighthearted in nature, a number of them were quite the opposite. One of the saddest read: “You’re the first person I’ve spoken to in days.”

Unemployment can make a recluse out of even the most social of butterflies. After all, you want to spend as much time as possible looking for work. And where do you look for work? Online. And where do you go online? At home.

But spending too much time alone can be detrimental, not just to your emotional well-being, but to your job search too! Staying connected with the rest of the world is not a luxury. It’s a necessity!

Work from a coffee shop.
Find a coffee shop with WiFi in your neighborhood (even better if it’s free WiFi!). Grab your laptop and go. You may not be striking up conversations with fellow coffee shop patrons, but it’s nice to be in the presence of other human beings. It’s also nice to have a change of scenery; one that doesn’t include Oprah on mute and swag from your previous employer.

Next Page: More Ways to Fight Loneliness →

Be_Yourself_365

over 1 year ago

Excellent recommendations.

kmthorpe

I like the idea of getting out of the house and seeing people to help keep youir spirits up while searching for a job.

pfsdean03

I like Sandra1's idea-"get a dog." If you can't get a dog, get a cat, a bird, ducks, chickens or something or one will lose their mind. I have those items and it can be quite amusing at my house(even with out my husband in a wheelchair.)

sophiaallen5

well written.It is important to practice ways to stay motivated and focused during job searching.I have seen many job seekers loose drive and focus once they have decided to look for a job.All these are very helpful ways.
    free voucher codes

dorabelle

I'm thinking that going out to bars could be a little more of a distraction than something helpful. Coffee shops have the potential to be networking events in themselves. Check out the Panera Bread hours, because sometimes they have wifi too.

• B89cd0fbf6acf7b39f51465c_max50

qingimiss

lace front wigs are called this because they are constructed by sewing hair onto an invisible lace front wig that is custom cut perfectly to the wig wearer's hairline. These lace front wig are the most natural looking wigs on the market today. They are perfectly shaped and very light weight. When worn correctly, no-one will be able to tell that you are wearing a wig as these hair units boast an invisible hairline which gives off the appearance that the wig hair is actually growing from your scalp. front lace wigs really offer you a natural and original look which is why they are immensely popular, and if you are losing your hair, they offer an excellent hair replacement solution. In addition, unlike weaves, fusion, strand-by-strand, and many other popular hair extension methods that can damage your hair and natural hairline, lace front wigs are completely safe.

carjuro

Carjuro
    Thank you. It helps to know there is somebody out there that understand us, our situation and through some palliative ideas.

shemaiya

I've been unemployed since January 2008. I graduated from college in 2007 worked my last job for about (2 months and then they let me go) I decided to go back to school to take some classes....A year and a half later I found out that I'm eligible to receive my MBA in June 2010. This was an interesting article but I've found out by going to my local library (instead of sitting in my house looking at my laptop) I've met individuals who are in similar situations as myself. I've bet online MBA students, stay at home moms, and individuals who are ready to do anything and everything there is to become employed. Going to the library is (free - unless you want to use the community printer) and you get a chance to socialize. Since this year began I can say that it's been refreshing to get out of the house and to actually talk to people.

Sandra1

Get a dog....cheaper and safer way to alleviate lonliness.

• Img_0601_max50

bmore_bestson

The author of this article was simply giving us some suggestions. Now, does that mean that everything in the article will work for everyone on this site...no. Simply take what you need from it and use it where it applies. I agree with both sides of the issue, that is: 1) going out on these excursions could drain your financial resources and 2) getting some fresh air is both important and detrimental too your well being. Therefore, my plan is to get out the house more often and make sure to get some fresh air from time to time. So, for me that might include, going for a walk, volunteering at my son's school, and/or eating lunch with friends from time to time, etc. Later everyone...

cindyh

This was the most enlightening bit of news and encouragment I have read in a long time!
    I am involved in two different volunteer positions, and I agree, that it really does help in a "reason" to get out.
    I also look at it as a way to help others and who knows, I may run into someone that has info towards a job.
    I've been out of work since May, 08. That may be why it's different for me.

• Susan_max50

bakersd_jobs

I've been unemployed since July 2009, I disagree with your comment on volunteering. In Oregon, if you are on unemployment and volunteer for more than 8 hours in a week, it will DECREASE your benefit amounts. Therefore, volunteering can also be a hinderance to your job search.

• Pedazo-_editado_max50

dibujo44

I got laid off couple of times (now i have no job), I can say I am a veteran, and the best way to mitigate a little bit the feeling of loneliness and devastatation is doing workout, not going to a bar and drink.

• Sheldon_pic_max50

slreiffenstein

The most important thing to do is to keep meeting people. In addition to networking events, invent reasons to talk to people in your industry - what we call informational interviews. When you've exhausted your immediate contact list, it's time to reach out to those you don't know. That's the best way to find out where the hidden jobs are.

fishatbrook

Being at home since April 2009. I am going out for a volunteer tnext week.