Career Guides >> Browse Articles >> Advice and Options

BREAKING: USAJobs' Search Is New (and Easier to Use)

BREAKING: USAJobs' Search Is New (and Easier to Use)

Kathryn Troutman

The BASIC Search on USAJobs is now easy to read – in one second – you can see the number of jobs in each city, each each job category and for each agency. This is a WONDERFUL improvement for the basic search tool. The new basic search now features an easy-to-read list of job search options by Agency, Location and Occupation, with an indicator of how many jobs are available in each category. As you narrow your search criteria, so narrows the list. This provides a much better starting point for job seekers, especially those looking for their first time.

For instance, if you are trying to decide if you should work in California or might consider moving to another state, you can BROWSE CAREERS BY STATE to see immediately how many jobs are open today in that state.

• District of Columbia: 1158 jobs
• Iowa: 45 jobs
• Arizona: 538 jobs

Or, if you are not sure of the job title or career series, you can BROWSE CAREERS BY OCCUPATION to see how many positions there are in each of the career series in government.

• Business, industry, and procurement: 1313 jobs
• Management, administration, clerical, and office services: 2053 jobs

Or, if you are interested in certain federal agencies or missions, you can BROWSE CAREERS BY AGENCY and see how many jobs are available today in that agency. This could make a difference in your decisions. And, in summary, it’s just interesting information to see the differences in numbers of jobs in agencies, states and career families.

• Consumer Product Safety Commission: 9 jobs
• Commerce Department: 459 jobs
• Agriculture Department: 959 jobs

LEGISLATION, RECOVERY ACT AND FEDERAL JOB NUMBERS:

Watch the numbers. By seeing the numbers on the top Search Basic Screen, a first-time job-seeker can be curious about the numbers, and if certain agency numbers might be going up based on the Recovery Act and the Stimulus Plan.

Agency numbers that could go up:

• Housing and Urban Development: 52 jobs (that will certainly be increasing with America’s housing problems.)
• Treasury: 179 jobs (this HAS to go up soon)
• Federal Housing Finance Agency: 1 jobs (that seems a little low, for the housing financial crisis in America)
• Environmental Protection Agency: 47 jobs(that will go up after the legislation for automakers is signed by the President)

THE EVER-CHANGING FEDERAL JOB PAGE:

Watch this page to see your favorite agency jobs increase or decrease.

TIP FOR THE SUMMER:

The government year-end is Sept. 30, 2009. The agencies will post many positions in August and September because of year-end budget surpluses. Look for many positions, more than normal in those months. Get your federal resume posted on USAJOBS and focused toward one or more career series.

TIP FOR ANNOUNCEMENT SEARCHING

Searching key words can really be useful. For example, the job title “Emergency Management Specialist” is classified to the 301 job series, which is general administrative and management. Searching the 301 series will yield administrative positions and even a food service specialist! Searching key words like “COOP,” “exercises,” or “incident response” will yield a variety of positions in the field, even those with titles like “Program Specialist” that are in the Emergency Management field.

Still need help to find the jobs that are right for you? Click here to arrange a one-on-one discussion with one of our Certified Federal Job Search Coaches: http://www.resume-place.com/services/federal-job-search-plan/.

Check out the new search functionality on USAJOBS at http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/default.aspx.

• Sa_spotlight_050909-1_max160_max50

careerseek2009

I have not had a problem finding jobs in my region or city the problem is negotiating the meanings one from the private sector with ample experience in management could plunk in management and get a host of government names that seem not to make sense,then it might say if you have at least one year of gs12 and no less than another time range of experience in gs9 you qualify then I'am completely lost.

USVeteran

I haven't had a problem with the site...my problem has been getting a response (via e-mail, phone) on the status of my application. Even when I go to individual websites - the only thing it says is that it has been uploaded & retrieved, or the agency has received my application. There is nowhere that I can find that would tell me if the position has been filled or not. When I call or send an e-mail to follow up, I don't get a return call nor return e-mail. Just wish there was some way for them to let me know whether or not I've been considered and if I'm being considered the timeline they're looking at to fill the position. Another thing that bugs me is that once they tell me that I was referred, when they tell me that the position has been filled, they tell me the position was filled from within. If that is the case, why did they "publicly" announce the vacancy and refer me in the first place, if they were planning on hiring from within???????

• Dsc00028_max50

KintaElliott

I am happy to hear that things are easier now.

• 040623_spyware_max50

gusmackey

SUPER! it's about time. Now what really need to happen is to standardize the site for each of the servces, have you ever tried the Navy's site, just making you way around it a task by its self. Then of course you jump to the AF site, after all the reading the novels who cares about loooking for a job. Some where the government forgot about making sites user friendly or functional. USAjobs, is however much better at it then the services.

nerodian

i diane nero having problems with my rights being i wanr to kaplan unversity online for bussiness adminstration apllied science management option A i working real hard to applied myself back ti the workforce in delopment and foundation to a better lifestyle in working with professional doctors and lawyer i feel like i beind discriminated against my rights i have want to aclu to get help i have been out of work since 2002 . if you have any question please feel free to call at 8043866539 thanks ms nero

wtrowan

Minor point: September 31?

More significant: Agencies rarely if ever staff up at the end of a fiscal year due to end-of-year budget surpluses. That would only make sense if they knew they could fund such positions in their following year's budget, as congressional budget rules don't normally allow carrying over appropriated funds from one year to another. The issue with much - but not all - of the projected ARRA-relayed staffing activity is that OMB has encouraged agencies t(see their 2/18/09 guidance memo) to fill such positions on a temporary or term basis, as funding for these will only run through FY 2012.